View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Default My take on Michael O'Keeffe's book, "The Card"

Posted By: Joann

Mike,

I am about half way through it, and last night I hit page 80 and beyond. I thought as I was reading of the things I'd like to excerpt, especially from pages 80-87. Looks like you earmarked the same areas that I thought were pretty compelling.

My take at about halfway or so:

I think it's pretty convincing. Although many here say it's nothing new and we've all heard it before, in this case key things have been said for the record. Having some of these guys quoted specifically for the purpose of publication is a whole lot different than hearing on boards or whatever that someone heard that so-and-so told so-and-so such-and-such. It is certainly carrying a lot more weight for me to see these statements in writing and at least appearing to have been made with knowledge of this publication.

Also, whether this is all rehash or not it is very helpful to see all of the loose ends brought together in one place and presented as a part of a unified whole.

All in all, I think it is adding a lot not only to my knowledge of the events but also to my opinion and perception. Maybe I'm just naive, but so far I'm buying it hook, line and sinker despite the occasaional toe stubs on not getting each fact about each vintage set exactly right. I haven't reached the part about Cobb and Edwards yet, and at that point I may decide it's all grandstanding.

But so far it is a very light and easy read, and that's just what the doctor ordered. Plus interesting and, in my opinion, enlightening.

(Oh, and somewhere in that page 80-87 range he addresses the existence of "before" photos, and why they don't see the light of day and aren't published. Not sure if that's all locktight in terms of accuracy, but at least it's addressed.)

Joann