View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Default Vintage Japanese Baseball Cards--Any Collector's?

Posted By: Mark Holt

I collect them. There are 72 pro players and coaches in the Japanese Baseball HOF that have cards issued during the careers and I've got 59 of them - sent half into SGC for grading and they look good in the black slabs. I've also collected most of the Meikyukai (Golden Players Club - 200 wins/200 saves/2000 hits) raw along with a couple sets.

I work for a Japanese company and go over there four times a year. Stayed in the same hotel as the Hanshin Tigers in May. The cards are relatively cheap, are becoming well documented (buy 'The Art of the Japanese Baseball Card' and Gary Engel's 6th edition of the Japanese Baseball Card Checklist.).

You can find 40s and 50s HOFer menkos and bromides in nice shape for a fraction of the price of American HOFers from the same era.

Pre war collegiate stuff is very rare and gets pricy.

Both PSA and SGC are grading Japanese cards now. Rob's site and Prestige's site are both good and those guys will generally answer questions by email.

Collecting Japanese cards reminds me of collecting baseball back in the 70s - pretty fun and not expensive.