View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Default Is the Grading System Broken?

Posted By: boxingcardman

"The funniest thing I think is the people who do not believe in grading think they have more expertise in picking out altered cards."

Wrong. For the issues I collect, I do have more expertise than the graders, even the good ones. Far more. You know who the guys at SGC call when they are stumped on something with boxing and exhibit cards? Me. You know who purchased my book? PSA, Mastro, SGC and so on. For other issues, other guys here are similarly skilled.

"The funniest thing" is that you literally have no idea who is handling your cards yet you advocate for them on blind faith. If you think it is some wizened expert with decades of experience spending hours poring over your cards one by one, you are sadly mistaken. From the moment the unsupervised minimum wage worker in Newport Beach shucks the cards out of their packages to the minute another minimum wage worker wraps and boxes the encapsulated cards to ship back to the dealers who sell to you, nearly everyone involved has no real expertise. The graders (who actually spend about 30 seconds giving your card the once-over) are neophytes compared to most of us.

"The funniest thing" is that I'm not the one worried that my cards are really what they are supposed to be, my friend. That would be your bailiwick.