View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Default What are the chances of an unopened 33 Goudey wax pack?

Posted By: David Smith

Hello all,

Back in the early 1990's, I met an old time collector who had some amazing things. We lost contact with each other about the year 2000. This past week, he was back in town and we got together for a few days and talked about his collecting back in the 1950's and his cards. I asked about buying the Curtis Ireland Candy cards from him that I found but couldn't afford (there were about 20 including a Ty Cobb) and large size Gypsy Queens that were trimmed but, sadly for me, he said he had already sold them.

One of the things I remember him telling me was a find back in the early 1980's and had him tell the story again. H said back then, someone found two boxes of 1933 Goudeys in the storage room of an old drugstore. The person who found them didn't know what exactly they were but knew they were valuable. My friend (Mentor) was called in to help with the purchase.

He said the boxes had sat on the shelves for years and that the cards on the bottom of each pack had the chewing gum stuck on them and that the further down in the box the packs were, the more attached the gum was. Yes, they opened ALL the packs and tried to put a set together but couldn't. They also threw the boxes and wrappers away instead of saving them.

He said that is one find that upsets him just because of how much each pack would be worth today. He said the thought of what MIGHT be in an individual pack would be worth more than the individual cards because of the gum sticking to each bottom card.

David

PS, Two cards I know he is consigning to an auction soon are a W519-2 Babe Ruth and a T206 Tinker with an American Beauty 460 back.