View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Default T206 set.....cheapest route currently?

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Perry-
If I had the money so it would not matter, I personally would rather collect cards in off codition (Good or less) so that myself and others can hold them without worrying about affecting the condition. To echo a prior post, creases and paper loss to me indicate 100 years of usage (if only the card could talk!) that tell a significant story.
I do understand high grade collectors as well. I too am amazed that certain Pre WWII cards have survided in perfect condition. The posts by Jim Crandall were amazing, as well as the images I have seen from Lionel Carter's collection and countless other collectors on this board. Although I question how some cards managed to survive in such perfect shape, I believe provenance (such as from the Carter collection, and other examples when cards can be traced to the original owner) helps to authenticate many cards of high quality. Those with no provenance arouse my suspicions immediately.
Lastly, this is the second time that T206 Wagner has been posted and I noticed barely any mention of it. That is an amazing card! Can you imagine the story it could tell behind all of its creases and wrinkles? No matter what condition I am always amazed to see an example of that card. Congratulations to whomever the owner is!
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com