View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Default Show Us Your 1933 Goudey Sport Kings

Posted By: DMcD

Duke Kahanamoku is definitely the leading god in the Hawaiian pantheon. Duke memorabilia always commands a premium. A copy of this postcard cost me around two hundred bucks. Lot of the locals were pissed off that his statue has its back turned to the ocean, something no smart waterman would do. Still a great statue and a major tourist attraction at Waikiki. Duke's Canoe Club is one of the few good reasons for locals to visit Waikiki (otherwise it's like Rodeo Drive with surf, not to mention the place is lousy with mimes). Food is no screaming hell but you can count on hearing terrific old style Hawaiian music there and the waitresses are superior grade eye candy (at least according to us lowlifes who objectify women).
Saw a copy of the Pan Handle Scrap card at a Hawaiiana shop here in Honolulu. It was badly foxed and I think they wanted like six thousand dollars for it. The salesgirl told it me it was his "rookie card". Oy! They also had a pair of Duke's sneakers (game used? ) for two thousand bucks. No thank you and no thank you.