View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Default Illiterate ebay sellers

Posted By: David Smith

To all,

Part of the problem is parents don't want to be parents, they want to be friends, if they even care at all. The parents don't want to upset little Johnny or hurt little Suzie's feelings because this might bring down their self esteem.

I just read an article the other day that employers are having trouble communicating with Generation Y (born after 1979) because of the "me first" attitudes and fragile egos these people have. These employees wanted more "positive" communication from their bosses. They wanted to be told they were going a good job even if it was for menial things. The article mentioned the main reason this Generation left jobs, according to polls taken was NOT monetary but more because they didn't feel valued as a person. Their egos weren't stroked enough. The poll showed that employees who were singled out for praise (even for doing small things they were expected to do in the first place) and who were given little Cracker Jack type trophies or other little prizes stayed at their jobs more than those who didn't.

I think another BIG problem is kids today don't read enough. Forget text books or any other type of books, they don't even read the newspaper or watch news on Television. There are some times I am talking to my 16 year-old Nephew and he will look at me and say, "that's nice but I don't know what that means" or "I don't know what you are talking about". So then I have to explain everything to him.

By not reading, they don't comprehend as much or as fast and they also don't know history and how things intermingle. By not watching or reading the news, they don't know what is going on today. They don't know how that relates to other things or how it relates to the past. Conversely, they also don't know how the past relates to present events.

David