View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Default Leon has opinions just like the rest of us

Posted By: Joann

I've emailed some of these thoughts to Leon in the past, so I'm not saying anything he hasn't heard before.

First, I think Leon does an absolutely fantastic job running this board, and he knows that. And please understand that what I am about to say is theoretical, and in the context of the entire history of the board, plus its future including all future moderators. It is NOT about Leon in particular, as moderator at this specific time.

But the thing about the banner ads is this: What happens when the income from the ads starts to make a geniune difference in the annual household income of the moderator? To me, that is the bottom line question.

See, that could become a real problem, couldn't it? When this started it was to offset costs and give Brian and Leon the little bit extra back as thanks for their time and efforts. In that spirit, all is well.

But at some point, either for current moderators or future moderators, what if the revenue grew to the point that it started to really have an impact at home? How would that manifest itself on the operation of the board and to members? And keep in mind that even if ad rates are cheap now, any future moderator could probably change that and take what the market would bear.

-- First and foremost, moderating content of other people's posts to eliminate anything contrary to advertisers' interests would be a certainty. An advertiser complains about a post or thread, and the moderator can't really afford to lose that advertiser. The post/thread would be edited or deleted. No doubt.

-- How about the links sections? That is a great section and a helpful resource that I refer to frequently. Would links to competitors of advertisers disappear?

-- How about a moderator that would not or could not pass the board on to someone new , even if it was really needed by the board, because he or she had come to depend on the income from it?

-- What if a major advertiser wanted a permanent thread or area dedicated to its interests, spot ads, auction content, for sale, etc. Would they get it? If it meant the moderator would break even for the month?

-- What if a major advertiser wanted a valuable and frequent poster banned for reasons totally unrelated to the board?

I really do see serious downside to the process long-term. I think the reason many people don't is twofold: First, we all like Leon and appreciate the great job he is doing. Second, there hasn't been the slightest hint of any of the items above.

The only thing that has even been mentioned is Leon's loyal support of a few advertisers, Mastro in particular, and honestly I don't care if Leon supports or doesn't support someone for any or no reason. It's his opinion and his business. But the second that someone else - anyone else - is prevented from stating their own opinion would be a sad day. There has been no sign of that.

Personally, I don't think the banner ads make enough of a financial difference to Leon to affect his administration of the board. But what about the next person? Or the person after that?

Once this board has started down this road, it is inevitable - only a matter of time - until we get to a moderator for whom the ad money really makes a difference. At that point the soul and nature of this forum will change forever, and not for the better. It will be like the CU boards with threads disappearing routinely because the poster didn't toe the party line.

Sorry - but if anyone here doesn't think that will happen, I think that's pretty naive. It just doesn't seem like it because, for now, we have a board moderator that is not so beholden to the advertisers and the income that he will change the administration and tone of the forum.

Joann