View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Default PSA pop's - accuracy ?

Posted By: davidcycleback

A question is is how accurate is PSA in updating the numbers. I know that PSA/DNA hasn't always promptly updated the databases as a LOA was issued. Meaning, though the LOA is legitimate, if you type in a serial number hasn't always been entered into the online database. In PSA/DNA's defense, I've heard of similar online database issues with Steiner, UDA and MLB.com, and I believe MLB.com's authentication process involves Deloitte and Touche.

PSA's population reports can't be more accurate than the proficiency of the company at entering and uploading the information, and it's a fair guess the latter isn't perfect.

Other than knowing what has yet to be entered and uploaded from that month, is there any way for PSA to verify or even check that the information they entered say two months ago was entered accurately?

What is PSA's opinion on the accuracy of the data? If PSA would tell you to take the report with a grain of salt, we can hardly blame PSA that collectors and dealers use it as the gospel according to dollar bill. People sometimes blame PSA for the ridiculous price paid for a PSA9, when PSA had nothing to do with the price. PSA only gave the grade, it was buyer who was ridiculous. If a grading company says their grading is 90 percent accurate, and collectors take the grade on the label as 100 percent accurate, the fault with be with those collectors.

Of course the grading companies are far from perfect, but I think a lot of what the hobby blames on the grading companies should be blamed on the users of the grading companies. For example, if collectors and dealers take a database too seriously, and in fact more seriously than the publisher said anyone should, the fault would lay with those who take it too seriously. If a grading company says their grades are 95% accurate, and collectors bid as if the grade on the labels are 100% accurate, the fault would be with those collectors.