View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Default Dinner With Kevin Saucier

Posted By: Kevin Saucier

We had a great time at dinner! As many already know Anthony is one of the best in the hobby, has terrific family and is a good friend. It was a pleasure to finally meet Jim. He is quite a nice guy, far from what many perceive him as and "very good" natured. Just wish they both weren’t so damn tall.

Jim’s welcome gift was a blank front & back t206 with a custom made (almost perfect) flip showing his name, the year he was born and the card number was his birthday, a Mint 9, 1953 Topps #528. Thought it would be a cool ice breaker, plus it is something money can’t buy!

The idea of verifying a card was not mine but was a suggestion made by a few collectors...Jim being one of them. Not exactly sure how it will work yet but it won’t be for everyone. Just like grading was not in the beginning and in some cases is still not for many.

The concept is such that if there is any doubt that a card is altered or, in some cases cannot be adequately examined, it will not get a "verified unaltered" hologram. If for any reason this is the case, an opinion based on objective findings will be given. It will not be cracked out.

Grading companies are making mistakes which seem to be happening more frequently then some would like it. Many have also lost the trust of a few auctions houses...wonder why? Although it’s been said I have God-like qualities (LOL), I am human and will also make mistakes...just fewer of them IMO because I am spending much more time and have a good understanding of what to look for. Keep in mind this is not grading.

It’s not too often where a card is too tight in the holder where an opinion cannot be rendered. Granted it is a helluva’ lot easier raw, which is why it takes so long to inspect a graded card, from 10-15 minutes each or more. I’ve spent an hour a few times before just the right light, angle and magnification all came together. As an example here is a recently detected altered card that took a long time to inspect. It was found to have a "repaired" tear, not to mention a trimmed edge and a glued corner tip all in a graded 6 slab:

Sure, this can be argued all day long with pro’s and con’s. Like I said, it will not be for everyone. It’s a service that I can provide for those who want it. I don’t know how it will work out for auctions but hope it will help rather than hurt. Keep in mind this is still in the investigative stages. Here is what I have so far:

Many have questioned my credentials or the fact that I am not a paid professional. I don’t know of any credentials that anyone has in this hobby other than experience. Granted, I don't have a JD or a long history of selling doctored cards. I do have several well known collectors that trust my opinion, openly considered an expert in alterations and identification by Mike Baker and a sportscard writer along with some awesome supporting comments from a nameless person at SGC and a former grader. Others may soon join in. If many don’t feel the same, well that’s alright too

Kevin Saucier