View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Administrator

Default Stirling Sports Card Catalog

Posted By: David Smith

If it is the same guy I am thinking about, he lived/lives in or around Indianapolis here. He owned some sporting goods shops around the Indianapolis area but they went out of business.

My Mentor and Stirling are good friends. I hadn't seen my Mentor for over five years but he recently came back to town. He told me about Stirling and his catalog/check list and showed me one. My Mentor said the ONLY reason it did not succeed was because it did not have any pricing information in it. He said that if Stirling HAD put a Price Guide in it, people now would be talking about Stirling's Guide instead of Beckett's.

My Mentor also told me he bought out Stirling's collection in the early 1980's. He bought EVERYTHING. He went to get a truck to haul the stuff in and Stirling decided during that time that selling everything was not a good idea. So, Stirling amended the deal and my Mentor accepted it. My Mentor took the baseball and boxing stuff and left the basketball, football, hockey and non-sports cards and memorabilia.

David