View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Default 1925 or 1926 Exhibit question

Posted By: boxingcardman

Earlier hobby resources break them down differently. According to Elwood "Woody" Scharf, the father of exhibit card cataloging, the 1921 Powell has the stands in the background while the 1923-24 card has the blacked out background. He reported it this way in an article in the 1970s in The Trader Speaks. This would be in keeping with the other reused cards I've seen where the images were changed (e.g., Veach). Beckett's old Baseball Collectibles book listed the 1921-22-23-24 cards as one issue and also reflects only two variations: with or without background. The three-card designation crops in in the standard catalog. Since there were numerous errors in the SCD exhibit lists (I weeded out only the ones in the PC back set), I would not be surprised if there are really only two cards: the 1921 (stands background) and the 1923-24 (blacked out background). I've seen far more of the stands background cards too.

As far as getting the graders to revise dates on the PC back set, SGC has been pretty responsive to these sorts of things when they are brought to its attention. PSA hasn't; at least not with me. But since I'm probably on JO's death list anyhow, maybe someone who has pull with PSA should broach the subject.