View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Default O/T Pet Peeve on Best Offers (Ebay)

Posted By: Eric Brehm

dstudeba -- good question, I suppose you are right that I shouldn't feel ripped off as long as I get a price that is fair with respect to the current market. And of course, as a buyer, the choice is always mine.

But I guess it depends on the situation. For example if Levi Bleam (707 Sportscards) lists a card on eBay or on his website, I can choose to either pay his price, or not pay his price. I am not going to call Levi and ask him who he got the card from, how much he paid, how long he has been sitting on it, etc., just so I can feel good about the purchase. If I did, he would probably laugh in my face anyhow.

I was thinking more about situations where I am personally acquainted with the seller, and/or happen to know the sales history of the card in question. This happened recently where a card I wanted was listed as BIN/Best Offer on eBay, and I just happened to know how much the seller paid for the card, when he paid it, and to whom. I made my offer based on what I thought was a reasonable profit for him, and informed him that that was what my offer was based on, which he accepted. I wasn't willing to pay any more than that, even though maybe I could have afforded it, just because of the principle of the thing. As a result, I think everyone came out happy on the deal. I hope that makes sense.