View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Default policy on auctions in progress?

Posted By: Joann

Yes - I agree. But that's why I specifically added the argument that outing the routine reprints and alterations probably does very little by way of actually saving someone from accidentally bidding on these.

I could be way off here, but I don't think so. I think that most people on this board would not be taken in by these kinds of vanilla scams. Those that would be taken in, especially on ebay, are very unlikely to

a) read this board at all

b) read this board regularly or

c) read this board on the specific few days preceeding the bid they are about to make so as to see the thread to warn them off it and thereby prevent being taken.

To me, the likelihood that outing the routine stuff will actually prevent a bid is so low that it does not justify outing an auction, and especially not a miscategorized auction. There are so, so many ebay bidders that bid on these cards and don't read this board.

When I first started reading this board, I learned tons and tons and tons from people that were willing to take the time to link to auctions or scans for reprints and alterations that I now consider mainstream. But at that time they were new to me and it was very helpful to see the scans and the commentaries.

But never, or very rarely, on live auctions. These were presented as the helps and even tutorials that they actually were. People waited until the auctions were over - on purpose or just didn't get to it until then, I don't know - but generally they were already done.

I got a great education from this board, and it came from thoughtful people posting scans and then commentary about what was wrong with the card. It did not come from people posting a link and one-liner purporting to protect me.

So I think there really is good value to posting after the fact as to reprints and alterations.

Joann