View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Default question - 2008 National in Chicago

Posted By: DMcD

"I wish I had a "Time Machine" to bring back those great moments."
Yeah, me, too. But at least we've got the internet and CD's and Turner Classic Movies and it will have to do. Though I'm old enough to remember watching Stengel's Yankees, you've got about 10 years on me, Ted, and, as precious as the reminiscences of those days are to me, I admit some envy that you hold in your skull first-person memories of the Yanks of slightly-more-ancient yore, Dimaggio, Reynolds, Joe Page (Wikipedia said his nickname was "The Gay Reliever" - say it ain't so, Joe ), King Kong Keller and young sailor Berra, not to mention lords of jazz, Ellington, Teagarden, Krupa. Some envy? I'd trade body parts to have watched Duke Ellington lead his band! If you could just get over this "Republican" thing, Louie, this might be the start of a beautiful friendship. (That's a joke, son).

All you young rock-n-roll whippersnaps, look away. Go on about your business. There's nothing here for you to see. Following is a link to one of my favorite jazz tunes, an undeservedly-obscure killer titled "Hello, Lola" by Red McKenzie and His Mound City Blue Blowers, recorded November 14, 1929. The Foxxgrove A's had just demolished the American League, second place New York 18 games out (!) and dispatched the Cubs in five games. The stock market is self-destructing, women and children hollering. This is what all that commotion sounded like. Red McKenzie on tissue and comb, Pee Wee Russell on clarinet, Glenn Miller (yes, that Glenn Miller) on trombone, boy-wonder Coleman Hawkins, 24 years old, on an awesome tenor sax tear, and your Mr. Krupa holding it all together with dynamite. A veritable musical Murderer's Row, Rock'n'Roll on hypersteroids. http://www.redhotjazz.com/mound Enough of my BS. Enjoy.