View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Administrator

Default Thoughts about the hobby

Posted By: Leslie Westbrook

Hi all,

Although I'm young, and I've been a member of this board for less than a year, I have thoughts that I assume must be shared by others around my age (28) who are boardmembers. I love baseball. I loved playing it as a kid, collecting cards of the heroes/superstars, and learning about the hobby. As I grew into adulthood, I began learning about the history of the pastime, grew more and more interested, and furthered my collecting to include the athletes that brought all of this to us. Now, I buy what I can afford (small, small budget), but I enjoy the pre-war feel of the game--as far as the old-time cards' moods take me--the look of the cards, the way they were packaged, etc. I wonder, though, if my cards are more than just an expensive source of joy, or if they are also a valid investment. I see the game as it is today, and I can't easily predict a solid popular future. What are your thoughts on the popularity of the game, and thus, the cards that brought us here? Excuse me, please, Leon if this is too far off topic, but I felt this topic deserved discussion among these ranks. I realize my wording isn't precise, but I don't mind providing a somewhat ambiguous prompt as long as it leads to rational discussion.