View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Default PSA grading a fake Jackson?

Posted By: David Smith

Frank,

There are a few things that I have SERIOUSLY thought about buying if I were to ever win a HUGE amount of money in a lottery ($50 million or more, after taxes). A Fender Stratocaster owned and played by Jimi Hendrix and/or Stevie Ray Vaughn. A 1938 Talbot Lago automobile (sexy and outlandish French body work and very few produced). A minority Ownership in the Cincinnati Reds. Buying THE CARD and having it graded by SGC. Then, if it came back as "Authentic - trimmed", I would go to court.

To me, it would be worth losing some money to find out THE TRUTH about THE CARD. It's REAL history. Things like where it was found. Who most, if not all, of the previous owners were. Where it came from and if there were any pictures of the uncut sheet it was taken from.

There could be historical info that is being suppressed right now because the truth hasn't been told yet. Info like how large the sheets were. How many cards were on a sheet and how the sheet was laid out. Also, things like who the players were and if there were any double or triple prints. I think the collecting hobby NEEDS info like this. I am pretty sure it would make things easier on Ted Z (and others) when he is doing his research and putting forth his theories on T206 cards and the different companies that issued them.

Plus, if I won in court, I would sue for damages and recover what I lost because of the value of the card decreasing because of the over grading. I might not be able to get any more cards graded (or want to) and I also might not be able to bid in most, if not all, major auction houses but that would be OK. I could still buy things on eBay, the B/S/T/ page and by beating the bushes.

David

PS - I am interested in the history of where cards came from because I own 16 different 1928 Star Play Candy cards. One of the cards was uncatalogued at the time I showed a scan of it on this board. That card brought the total number of cards in the set to 73, which is an odd number. Of course, in the Old Cardboard Magazine issue 10, there was a story about the set and nobody has ever seen a 1928 Lou Gehrig, which if it were never issued, would bring the total back down to 72.

However, I think when I bought my 16 cards, there were two more - a Ruth and Gehrig. Of course, by the time I went back to my car and found the cards in the big SCD price guide, found how rare they were and got back to the dealer's table, those two cards were gone.

Now, I did ask the ephemera dealer I bought the cards from how he acquired them. He told me they originally came from his Father, who bought them when he was a child. Based on the info this dealer gave me, I have a general idea, geographically, where the Star Player Candy cards originated from. My goal is to save up enough money so that I can travel there, do research and maybe find out for a fact the origins of these cards. I am also hoping to find MORE of these cards so as to add them to my collection.