View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Default Do you think I bought a trimmed card?

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

First, in response to the post..

Actually measuring the card and looking at it in person would really help.

From looking at the front it does not appear trimmed to me. From looking at the back it looks like the vertical sides may have been trimmed slightly. The rounding of the corners doesn't look uniform, the rounding is consistent along the top borders with what I'd expect, but the side roundings seem to have a taper to them consistent with very slight trimming. Although it may well not be trimmed.

After looking at the front, then the back, I return to that front. The front still looks acceptable. Maybe the card was "extra" wide and some knucklehead decided to trim it down to normal size....

As for the disagreement as to which card is the most likely target for trimming.... I think all are. Novice/idiot trimmers would try trimming a worn card, thinking of doubling a $10 card to a bit more. That trimming is usually obvious. As for the high end cards, I think bunches have been trimmed... the guys who do that are adept at what they do, the best shot at detecting it is to magnify the card edges looking for signs of a cut inconsistent with the factory cut. If that is missed by a card grader, then you have a slabbed card that is trimmed. Folks that myopically focus on card grade slips instead of cards are in denial about that, or oblivious to it. I recall years ago how jumbo border T206s were noted in card dealer card catalogs, and how they were sought out at shows. Ever wonder what happened to the "jumbos"?? Look in a PSA 8 holder somewhere.