View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Default Group purchases in REA, Mastro

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I agree that in a nationwide auction like Mastro or REA the group bidding will benefit the auction house and consignor - you will always have dealers who will not join in a group situation because they want the entire lot so they can split it and make money or there is a guy who wants to put a set together fast and doesn't want to share with others...you will always have that situation in a Mastro/REA type auction. In a local auction group bidding is collusion and hurts the consignor and auction company. I must admit that a lot of collusion goes on at the local level - most of it is unspoken. Everyone knows I collect baseball memorabilia and will stay away from it to some degree - I extend the courtesy on items I know other people collect. When you go to 50 auctions a year you get to know the other bidders quite well - some of them become friends and you know what they collect. The auction companies know it goes on, but what are they going to do? We're some of their best customers. Plus I know it goes both ways - I know who the "Rabbits" are....