View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Default How Did They Come Up With 1912 For E270s?

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

The Tin Top set includes many team changes of players that are shown with their 1912 team and then later made with their new 1913 team so production definately ran into the 1913 season. The question is whether the cards were produced late in the 1912 season or whether the ones picturing players with their 1912 teams were just early 1913 productions. There are several players like Tommy Atkins who was with Atlanta in 1912 and Ft. Wayne in 1913--he has a card with each. Another example is Bunk Congalton, he is first pictured with Toledo whom he played for in 1912 and later with Omaha whom he was with in 1913. Also a note about the Tin Tops is that these cards were produced by the Autosales Company, the Successors of Colgans Gum Co. as I have found 6 different cards from this series still in their tins and every one came in the Autosales tin as opposed to the "Colgans" tin.

The Red Borders are Colgans "lazy" set. They didn't do many team updates in this set and only included 2 new players in the entire series. The new players were both "local" Louisville players J. Sullivan and Red Fisher. This series was definately produced in the 1911 season and may have continued through early 1912 as well.

The "208" Series cards are definately a product of 1909-11 as they are part of the E254 set. The players that I have seen have not done much to pinpoint one particular year as the year these came out. I currently have 4 and have owned 2 others and the best I can date is that 1911 is unlikely as a date, but that could be wrong. One player I have "Red" Nelson never played with Toledo, whom he is pictured with in his "208 Series" card, if he was sold or traded to that team and a date can be attributed, then maybe we could narrow down that date a little.

The 4 I own are Clarke (Pittsburgh), Nelson (Toleso), Ritter (Kansas City), and George Bell (Brooklyn). I have owned in the past McGinley (Toronto) and Overall (Chicago).

Hope this helps
-Rhett