View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Default T209 Contentnea Fans....post pics...also any expert info?

Posted By: Seth B.

Hey Dave, welcome to a really wonderful set. Series one and two are the only sets I really collect. I'll show off some of my nicer cards--I'm four cards away from the Series 1 set, but I'm broke after REA!
Zach is absolutely right that there really haven't been any T209 IIs for sale for awhile. A few years back (2005 or 2006?) several auction houses had lots of 100 or so T209 IIs, and it seemed like they were much more frequent, but they're even rare on e-bay right now. Brian's two cards are really fantastic, and I haven't seen either sold publically as long as I've been paying attention (since 2005 or so). I do believe a Thompson was included in one of those big lots, but I hadn't seen a Pressley Prtichard until Brian posted his here a month or so ago.
There are some older threads here on the cards: big issues are the back stamps on the Series I cards (I've been keeping a list, and it's about 50% for what I've seen, maybe just a touch under), and who exactly B.E. Thompson was (was he the commissioner? I can't remember what people came up with). The other cool thing that is hopefully preserved on one of those old threads are two printer scraps that a board member (I believe Scott Brockleman) has that show some unreleased series one cards including a proof of Al Orth which looks the same as the T206 Southern Leaguer.
There's more to say: I really love this set, but I won't overwhelm you. Bottom line is: If you like one you see, buy it, as it may not come up for sale again in a long time.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket