View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Default M116 McQuillan-- Heck of a deal for someone!

Posted By: Bob

Actually Tim and I were going to write an article together but alas, life got in the way. I sent Tim all the info I had accumulated (articles, surveys from board members, scans, etc.) but assume Tim is as busy as I am and hasn't had a chance to do much with it.
It is a very neglected set and one which is slowly beginning to increase in value. I look for this set to become very popular with collectors in the future, especially those who have completed the 205 and 206 sets and are looking for something to collect other than caramels.
As far as variations go, I can relate this now since I have completed the set (other than 1 variation), the most overlooked variation price-wise in the set are those cards printed with both blue and black backs. For many years it was assumed that the black backs were more valuable. In fact most collectors still believe this, but the info I acquired shows the opposite to be true, that the blue backs are much more difficult and should be the one with the premium. Remember when I refer to blue backs, I do NOT mean the blue backgrounds on the front, I mean the backs of the cards printed in blue ink as opposed to black. Why they are so much tougher is anyone's guess...