View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Default Could that be someone other than Foley White in the white border tobacco cards, T206???

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Ted, Paul, Tim, Craig, and Scot...

Thanks. I was feeling lonely.

This may well be like Ellam, Nashville. His T206 card says Nashville. He was with Birmingham from 1909 through the end of 1915. His first year at Nashville was 1916... now how could American Litho anticipate that???

The line for White, Waco at the SABR site (Wow, what a resource!! I'm going to renew membership!!), anyway, it is the same info in my 1910 Spalding Record, which covers the 1909 season. I've always been partial to the red Records, instead of the yellow Guides. The Guides have more pictures, but the Records have more complete statistics.

The similarity in Thebo's uniform is an interesting observation... artist might have missed the red sleeves. Thebo was Waco's center fielder in 1909.

In the Spalding Record, it shows White, Waco hitting .207 in 80 games. In the fielding section, under catchers, the listing is for "White, Waco - Houston" and shows him catching 33 games. I'd never noticed that before. I don't see a White, Waco at any other positions in the fielding sections. I do see Carl White in center field for 20 games for Houston. I'm sure that's Carl in that entry, can't convert a catcher into a center fielder in Texas, unless the fellow goes on to get 3000 hits in the majors. (Sorry for the digression, I just thought Biggio was a wonderful player from day one.) 80 - 33 = 47, I wonder what happened those other 47 games. Maybe he caught 47 with Waco then 33 with Houston.

I've emailed a library in Waco to try to dig up some info. I'll post anything I receive that is helpful.

I'm starting to think that Foley White is on that card, he started the season with Waco, and went to Houston at the end of the 1909 season when the photos and info were being accumulated for American Litho. Foley left Houston after that 1909 season. Shoot, he was with 3 teams in 1908, 3 in 1910... makes sense he couldn't stay with only one in 1909. So maybe the SABR site needs to be amended to show him with Houston for the end of 1909, IF we can dig up info to corroborate that Houston play.

We still need a photo that depicts Foley White.