View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Default Can someone explain the price on this T206 Johnson portrait?

Posted By: Joe Drouillard

Thanks Anthony for the kind words and everyone else for the imput. Especially, the response from FKW who wrote:

"The corners are brand new on these cards. I have one from this find, and thats the first thing that jumps out at you when you see them in person. These cards were not handled before they were put in the original scrapbook. Basically the flood stains and O/C is the only problems....... No real wear" (fkw).

FKW. Obviously, you have quite a bit of knowledge of the history of the card. Do you think the buyer will resubmit the card for a higher grade? I would think that the flood stain is the real problem and it is the reason for the grade from SGC. Isn't the flood stain "real wear"? Can the flood stain be removed through soaking or some other process? Or is the card's providence and/or the squareness of the corners more important to some buyers than the technical grade?

Perhaps, my questions are naive. I know that tastes are subjective. I like, for example, clean cards without creases or paper loss. Centering is not that big of deal to me but I know plenty of collectors that believe a card's centering is more important than the condition of the corners. I'm just trying to figure out why the bidding went so high, it takes at least two people to raise a bid. So at least two knowledgable people wanted this card very bad. If I knew the history of a card I might overpay a little bit, but three hundred dollars seems like a very big premium to pay for a card evaluated by SGC.

Best wishes,

Joe