View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Default Opinions on starting to collect high grade T202 & T207....

Posted By: Jason L

Affordability: you want to go with T202
Scarcity: T202 is easier
Condition Availability: T202 is probably better
All 3 of the above are linked.

Star Power of Players: T202, no question.
Level of Historical Info: T202, given each one has three panels of text on the reverse.

Attractive Card design: Here's the stickler. most will say the T202 hands down and I used to be in that camp until I started collecting a few T207s (working on the Cubs team set, which unfortunately has Ward Miller, of which there are apparently zero remaining under $1 billion). There is a very understated elegance to this set. I know that sounds cheesy, but these cards are very attractive in the uniqueness. Finding a quality T207 is a special collecting moment. To see the gloss, the way that gloss cracks..., -the colors that do show up are unusual, -the brown tones are haunting. They are very unusual cards, and even though the T202 has so much going for it, don't overlook the T207s.
Buy a couple and see what you think.
And another thing, if you are into getting your cards graded, if you stick to T207, you can avoid the extra money to slab an oversized T202!

Keep us posted on what you decide

Edited to add: Here's an interesting test/experience:
Get your hands on a nice quality T207 and hold it side by side next to a nice quality T205. See what you think.