View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Default COOPERSTOWN BB card Show this HOF weekend

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

If it's the same show I'm thinking about(it was held outdoors), then I also have fond memories of it. Forgive me if I've already shared this:

As a youngster, I happened upon this show on a side street during Induction weekend. I had a grand total of $8 to spend! I blew it all in short order on a box of commons and a Munson card. As I was about to leave the show, an old-timer approached me and asked how I was enjoying the weekend. As only a kid can do, I relayed how much fun I was having. The gent proceeded to tell me that there were HOFers signing autographs at the little show. He said, "Who would you like to meet? Monte Irvin? Johnny Mize?". I told him that I had already spent my limit. He laughed heartily, and told me that he "would take care of it". I looked at the few folding tables set up for the signers, and saw the signs: "MONTE IRVIN", "JOHNNY MIZE", etc. I then spotted a vacant table with a paper sign marked "ENOS SLAUGHTER". Responding to the fellow, I said "Enos Slaughter!". He laughed again, and said, "You're lookin' at him!". He gently took the notebook out of my hand, asked my name, and wrote "Jodi, Best Wishes, Enos Slaughter" (he even spelled my name right without asking!). He then proudly took me over to Mize's table and had Johnny autograph the page underneath his signature. I still remember how imposingly huge Mize's hands and stature were to me!

I've since gone on to own and sell very valuable and historic signed items, making a full-time living out of my passion for our hobby. On the best of days, that lined sheet, since yellowed with age, might only be worth the $8 I brought along to the card show with me that hot summer day, but the kindness extended to a child by one of baseball's greats makes that paper one of the most valuable things in my collection.