View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Book Contest

Posted By: Jay

The Old Judge book is almost complete, but there is one loose end that I would like to get cleared up before we go to press. In the book we provide short bios of all 521 subjects in the set. We have substantive information about 520 of these subjects, but I am still trying to find something to tie Fischer to the Chicago Maroons. Fischer is listed as a pitcher for the team and based on the background in his Old Judge card appears to have been present in the same photo shoot as Charles Boyd (see scans). Fischer never played a regular season game for the Maroons, probably meaning he tried out for the team, was part of the team photo shoot, and was then released prior to the start of the season. The photo shoot would have been some time in April, 1888. Usually, something about even the most obscure players is found in The Sporting News, but all the sources of The Sporting News that I have seen are missing the April editions. I would look in the Chicago newspapers from April, 1888 if I had access to them, but I don't. So, we are having a contest. Anyone who can find information tieing Fischer to the Maroons will receive a complementary copy of the book and will also be acknowledged in the text (and will have my undying gratitude).