View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Book Contest

Posted By: Mike

Jay : I only could get very limited access to the Chicago Tribune newspapers. I could not find Fischer listed in any article I was able to look at.

Here's an article from 10-28-1887 in the Tribune:
10-28-1887: " The following players have been signed by Sam Morton for the Western Association team to be located in this city. Ed Dugdale of Peoria, who caught for the Kansas City team of 1886 and the Utica Team of 1887, Fred Long, third baseman of the Lincoln, Neb team of this season, John Crogan, right field and John Dunn, pitcher of the Wheeling, VA team of this season, M. Hengle, second baseman of the Utica team of 1887. It is thought Lou Schoeneck, the big first baseman who played with the Portland, ME team this year and Sunday and Sprague will also be members of the new team ."

The Chicago Maroons played the Chicago White Stockings (NL) in an exhibition game (pre-season) on 4-15-1888: The lineup was: 1b- Schoeneck, 2b - Hengle, 3b- Lange, SS- Long, OF - Crogan, Moriarity and Rooks, C- McCauley and P- Nicholson.

Go to Chicagotribune.com and under search type in archives and go from there. It costs but you may find something there. If not, need to go to a major library.