View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Default I don't understand graded card pricing

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Some people strive for perfection in all aspects of their lives--Type-A personalities, if you will. Therefore, they wish to own the finest examples of the cards/memorabilia they enjoy.

Some folks are in this hobby more for investment purposes. Therefore, they are keen on securing the sharpest cards to ensure what they feel to be the healthiest turnaround in the future.

Other collectors collect more for the joy it brings them, and would rather have a more hands-on approach to their hobby. And, let's face it, not all of us can drop five figures on gorgeous examples of the things we love. These collectors are just as happy with their low-mid grade examples as the "Registry Kings" are with their cards.

If I ever decided to resume my card-collecting, I would definitely try my best to combine all of the above "collector types" into my type of collecting. Provided I had the available funds, I would attempt to secure a handful of investment-quality cards and store them until the time was right to make the best profit possible. Simultaneously, I would collect the lower-mid grade cards for my personal pleasure, using the profits reaped from the investment-quality cards to fuel further purchases.

Just as there happens to be an abundance of different cards (and countless different ways of collecting them), there are just as many unique personality traits that dictate how each of us goes about our day-to-day lives. That explains why there are so many avenues to take in any branch of this hobby.