View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Default Perhaps, T206 Brown OLD MILL's are just printer's freaks ?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Just another one of my wild theories....I consider the BROWN lettered Southern League OLD MILL backs as "printing
freaks"......and, not an intended design variation by American Lithographic.

1st....The backs of all T206 T-brands were pre-printed on sheets of cardboard and then the multi-color fronts were
printed on these sheets.
Consider the following: 42 of the 48 Southern Leaguers (SL) were issued in mid-1909 concurrent with the 150 Series
Subjects. These 42 SL were printed on the Brown HINDU backs and then on the OLD MILL (SL) backs.

Given all that, my conjecture is that during the transition from printing of the Brown HINDU cards to the OLD MILL, on
occasion the printer inadvertently applied the BROWN ink (instead of the BLACK ink) on the printing plates. Apparently,
this printing mistake was limited to an initial press run and very few Brown OLD MILL's got out into the marketplace.

Now, any one of you can punch holes in this theory if you can produce a Brown OLD MILL back on any one of the
following six SL cards. These six Texas League Subjects were issued after the production runs of the Brown HINDU
cards had ended.

Bastian
Miller (Dallas)
Smith (Shreveport)
Stark
Thebo
White (Houston)

OK, you lucky Net54er's that have Brown OLD MILL Southern Leaguers....why not show or tell us about your cards ?

TED Z