View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Default What would you do?

Posted By: E, Daniel

David:

Is that the monster of single issue, or 18/19/20 seperate issues?
Of 4-6 known Wagners in the 50's or the 60 or so now know to exist?
Is that the monster of myriad variations and errors not noted by Lipset and others and even today only being discovered by young whippersnapper enthusiasts?
If you didn't sound so serious, I'd be laughing my A#% off.

Seriously, you're starting to read like an angry know-it-all old man who thinks all knowledge is gotten through aging.
I just turned 40 and have absolutely no doubt there are younger collectors who have far more knowledge in areas of the hobby than I do, many of whom show a dedication to investigating the nuances and historical interest of cards that is truly inspiring.

I consider myself a bright guy, but I promise you I teach my 4 year old son that he will see things and understand things his old man never did. That his eyes and his mind are special and that there will come a time - probably from his early 20's into his middle thirties - where he is as sharp and intuitive and able to discern truth and knowledge as he is ever likely to be. And not to ever let old people who've become scared of the world and their place in it to shout him down.

But then that's me, I'm a believer in the power of the young and the inspiring.
I don't think I've been inspired by anyone over 50 other than listening to Bill Clinton discuss just about anything, and Mandela speaking of unity and love and forgiveness after suffering interminable seclusion from family and people. So I'll take the young enthusiastic knowledge of a Lifson over Lipset's any day.
Heck, Greenspan has almost proven by himself that you can be just as dumb as a log after doing the same thing for 50 years, as anybody possibly could.

Daniel