Thread: Vote!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Default Vote!!!

Posted By: J Levine

I am friends with people who voted Yes but it has put a strain on our friendship. This to me seems a very hurtful thing and to say that it is simply what you believe is fine by me. I get it but do not underestimate what you are saying when you make that argument. This argument can cut both ways. Christians once believed that the sons of Ham (blacks and inferior) where okay to be slaves, they believed that women should be seen and not heard and have no place in the church, the infirm, mentally challenged, or physically disabled (either from birth or injury) should not be allowed to worship and should be shunned because they are not made in God's wonderful image. All these were once beliefs that good Christians held but are now horrifically looked upon. It is difficult for me to comprehend how a loving person otherwise could have such contempt for another being.

If someone can give me a cogent argument why two people in love should not be given the opportunity to marry that does not involve "because the bible tells me so" then I will listen. I still will not be happy but I will listen.

Joshua

PS (edit added) I don't want to slam James but the Mormon Church was the biggest fund raiser for Prop 8. Again, I have many Mormon friends as well who voted for and against and some who will not discuss it with me...this is their choice. Overall I have found Mormons to be loving, honest, intelligent people that I can relate to on any level.