View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Default Honus Wagner's Spring Training Site

Posted By: Jimi

I thought I'd go ahead and post this. My family and I went on a vacation in Kentucky at the Pennyrile Mountains which is near Dawson Springs. Little did I know until a friend contacted me that Dawson Springs actually had this:

[linked image]

Riverside Park was built by the Dawson Springs community to accommodate the Pittsburgh Pirates for springs training from 1914-1917. The only site in Kentucky known to have hosted a major league team, the stadium attracted such teams as the Columbus Senators, Toledo Mud Hens, Louisville Colonels, and several teams existing today. The stadium, with major league dimensions of 335 ft. in left field, 405 ft. in center, and 365 ft. in the power alleys was reconstructed as a tribute to the rich history and culture of the era. The grandstand, fences, and dugouts are constructed of wood, just like the original, creating a one-of-a kind ballpark. It is the only such facility in this region.

[linked image]

Great trip and a lot of fun running on the bases and the field where Honus Wagner and many other HOFers once played.

Just thought I'd share!

Jimi

Always looking for T222 Fatimas!