View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Default Dimaggio's streak, game #22

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

He had that brassy voice, a bit beyond tenor, and you could hear him before you ever got even close to the turnstiles. What a memory. I can almost feel the burn of popcorn salt on my lips. And of all the Cardinal megaphones I carted back to Kentucky... they're gone. But I bought a replacement for too much money on eBay not long ago.

I can't recall all of the lines in that movie with Billy Crystal, but Old Sportsman's Park was like that, it was dark and dingy, a bit dirty, steel girders and filthy concrete, you turn the corner, step into the sunshine, and there's bright green grass, super white uniforms, and the staccato of batting practice. In later years I recall seeing the coach hitting BP... as the infielders covered their bag, then ran in and threw home, eventually only the catcher was left. On a good day the coach would take one level swing with that fungo bat, then he'd turn and walk to the dugout without looking up... the ball had gone straight up at the plate, as desired. Play Ball!