View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Default 1902-1911 W600 Sporting Life Cabinets

Posted By: Kevin Struss

Paul, I cannot find Delahanty in any of the lists that I have past 1903. There are two possible reasons for this: 1) they pulled his card after his death in July of 1903 or 2) they had exhausted their initial production supply of Delahanty and did not produce any more. Delahanty was a very notable player and would have been a popular choice among customers in 1902-03.

I believe that the Sporting Life continued to offer cards of "old players" as long as their supply lasted.

It is fairly obvious that the Sporting Life produced a certain number of each player at specific time. For example, Luis Castro only played one year in the Major Leagues - Philadelphia Athletics in 1902. Since a plethora of Philadelphia Athletic players were included by the Sportin Life (a Philadelphia company) in thier 1902 offering, Castro was included. He was obviously not a popular choice among their subscribers and his card (which is dated 1902 on it) was offered by ths Sporting Life at least through the 1910 season.

Scott, is Castro still being offered on your 1913 renewal offer?