View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Default 1979; that important year

Posted By: Mark Macrae

Great post Rich...Hard to believe it was 30 years ago. A quick perusal this morning through some 1979 hobby publications brought back a lot of familiar names... Some no longer with us... Larry Fritsch was doing auctions).. Others who are still very active (Bruce Dorskind wrote an article on Rare 1930's issues in TTS). Some who have changed locations (Kit Young was in sunny Vancouver,Wa looking to buy Ex-Mt sets of '55 Doubleheaders for $750, 2/3 of that price paid for VG;, Jim Beckett was in Ohio selling 500 different autographed Topps cards from '55-'75 for $100. Other news included the RW Baldwin plastic sheets, which were the hottest thing going. It wasn't until the late 80's that people started realizing how bad poly vinyl chloride was for paper artifacts. The Southern California Labor Day show (pre-National days) was one of the best West Coast shows going. 8 Foot tables for the three day show were a whopping $35; $30 if you stayed at the hotel....When I graduated high school in June, I had reached 3100 different Zeenuts, had finished off most of my post war sets (that were of interest) and was actually thinking I'd run out of things to collect by the time I was 30... Boy was I wrong...happy.gif