View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Default 1979; that important year

Posted By: Michael Steele

1979 Wow. Still a teen but my first year I had real cash and really got into the hobby.

I was neurotic waiting for the bi weekly SCD or Monthly Trader Speaks in the mail. When it came, I devoured the pages for deals. Everything was by mail so had to write my letters quickly. Remember buying stuff from George Girsch (Oldies But Goodies), Steve Mitnick, Caron Ritchey/Clay Hill, Gary Nuchereno, B.A Murray etc etc. Halls Nostalgia was a fixture on the back covers.

I remember the hype for the Bump Wills Ranger or Jay cards and Burger King Nettles cards as well as Rotman Plastic pages. I bit into the hype by purchasing the "Johnny Pro Oriole standup" set and the "ultra" rare card of Orlando Pena (no cut out) that was offered by the Sport Hobbyist out of Detriot (I think). Still have them in the original mailing envelope. I really thought that card would be worth thousands by now happy.gif.

Anyway, my first card show was not until April, 1980 in St.Louis so I was a mail order fiend in 1979. Great memories.