View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Default 1979; that important year

Posted By: Mark Macrae

According to the First Sport Americana in 1979, the values listed for T-206 cards were as follows.... (First price is for MINT, Second price is for VG-Ex, Third price is for Fair-Good).. Common Major Leaguers ($1.60, $1.20, $0.50), Common Minor Leaguers ($1.80, $1.35, $0.60), Common Southern Leaguers ($5,$4.25,$2), Demmitt ($120, $90, $40), Cobbs...all were priced the same ($20,$15,$7.50), Wagner ($4800, $4000,$2000).... A few notes to this.. The definition of Mint has changed significantly in 30 years, but as one who was buying T-206's in that period, nice commons ran about $2 each, lower grade ones were a quarter to 75 cents each..... Decent Cobbs were readily available in the $10-20 range ... The difference in value between the grades was much closer, but all grades clearly have increased in value. There was a sharp rise by the mid 80's. One lurker on this board regrets not purchasing solid Excellent condition T-206's from me when they were $8-12 each (and I had literally thousands in stock) in the mid 80's........ Kevin , my first Anaheim show was in '75. I still have the handwritten note that JIm Nowell sent me inviting me to his house before the show started.... I Remember Tony Galovich having nice cards, but don't recall Tony A setting up with him (I thought Tony A came with his father...could be wrong). He was set up against the back wall from the main entrance. John Spalding set up on the wall left of the main entrance and Goldfaden was on the right...always had nice stuff. At the time, I thought Tony G was one of those 'old guys' but in reality he was only 7-10 years older than me (Tony...you're not on Social Security yet, are you) happy.gif ........ Dan, despite how some people look back fondly at disco music, I was never one to like it in the day (or now). In the Bay Area, we had a late night disc jockey on 98.5 in San Jose. His stage name was Dennis Erectus and he used to do "wreck-a record' on Saturday nights, attacking the BeeGees, Village People, Barry Manilow, etc and destroy the record on air, while supplying commentary the FCC abhorred...... Of course, I never listened to him, I was always studying wink.gif on Saturday nights....... Lynard Skynard, Led Zeppelin or The Outlaws "Green Grass & High Tides" was much more popular in our world.... Probably explains my increasing difficulty in hearing these days.. happy.gif