Thread: Drum wrapper??
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Default Drum wrapper??

Posted By: Jon Canfield

1910 tax stamps were used until 1916 plus you are comparing cigarette tax stamps (with overprints) to tobacco tax stamps - two different creatures - not hogwash but pure fact. A quick google search will show this.

Also, cigarette packs are nothing like cigarette cards. If I were selling an extremely rare cigarette pack, I would trust the opinion of a respected cigarette pack collector, either in the baseball card hobby or outside, to render an accurate opinion. Why even ask a baseball card collector? It's like asking a car dealer to do my next surgery. I'm unaware of any respected cigarette pack collector who believes Drum cigarette pouches have anything to do with the cards other than being produced by the same company that produced Drum Cigarette packs which the cards were packaged in.

Everyone is entitled to each's own opinion. That is absolutely fine and certainly I can respect other's opinions. However, I am frequently consulted on cigarette packs and absolutely will say without hesitation that Drum tobacco pouches have NOTHING to do with the distribution of cards. I also think that despite the numerous cigarette pack collectors out there, the fact that Drum pouches barely sell for $50.00, when even a common Sweet Caporal cigarette box from the T206 era will demand $100-$200, clearly shows who collectors tend to agree with more.

=============================

Edited to respond to your quotes in the other post (I think it's best we only keep one post on this subject going). Of course Drummond wasn't around in 1910 - it was sold to the American Tobacco Company in 1898 which carried forward only a few brands, Drum being one of those brands (another being Cannon and Chesterfield being the biggest brand carried forward).