View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 04:39 AM
Administrator

Default What percent of your life savings is in Baseball Cards?

Posted By: Joann

Great question Jamie.

I am with those above that say that the value of my cards relative to my life savings is zero - I don't look at cards as savings at all. However, regardless of how I look at it my cards are still part of my net worth whether I intend it or not, and maybe that's a better question in my case.

A year ago I might have said less than 5-10%. Now it might be twice that, not because I've bought cards (I stopped almost completely in 2008 because of home repairs and a major vacation) and not because cards have appreciated, but because everything else - investments, house, savings, etc - has tanked so bad that cards have really jumped in terms of their place in my net worth.

However, onward and upward! When I get into work today, I'm going to change my 401(k) contribution to add the last bit I need to max it out. I'm thinking I won't have another market buy opportunity in my lifetime like I have right now, so buy buy buy! So I'm hoping that in a few years my cards will be a miniscule portion of my net worth, and not because I've gotten rid of cards or because those have tanked, either! happy.gif

J