View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Default PHILLY SHOW this weekend....Mar 13-15th

Posted By: DJ

I made the seven hour trek for Friday and Saturday and must say that I was most surprised at the popularity of Gun Shows. And could anyone else figure out the sleep number system on their Radisson mattresses?

I actually enjoyed myself and I think people use these kinds of shows in different ways. I accomplished all my goals. I picked up a few nice pre-war cards for my collection, caught up with old friends and customers and saw some really nice items that will be available for bidding in the future, mostly unique and rare signatures. I did overhear at Bagger's table: "I got that from Leon Luckey!".

Most of the nice stuff could be purchased in upcoming auctions. That's just the collecting world we live in, it seems. I did not see any e107's, a handful of n172 HOF'ers and no cards that really made me go: Wow!

I did see a lot of dealers with nothing much to do. The reason? Their prices were too high. When you have card marked a "6" and you want 60% over SMR and you have to tell me that you think it's undervalued in the SMR and I picked one up for 20% under SMR with a BIN, there's a reason why you have nothing to do back there. Saw a lot of that.

I think the number one sentence most uttered at the show was: "Do you get cellphone service" and the reply was "nobody does."

In one final note, it's really sad what has become of the "greed" of the legends. There they were, Willie Mays, Frank Robinson and Willie McCovey and because their prices were so unrealistic, they just sat there without lines.

They called Willie Mays tickets up to eighty and that was it. What do you want when the prices begin at $269 for the surly ball player who evidently gave out a horrid version of his signature at the show and MAB had to make several warnings over the loud speaker to the show guests to NOT take pictures of him. I watched Frank Robinson sit there and eat a sandwich.

On Mr. Mint's retirement. In January, the VBC Forum should honor him with his own "Greatest Hits" thread so let's get some baby photos (little, round headed baby with super orange head and tiny briefcase) and let's get Wonka ready in advance!

DJ