View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Default Lets revisit a new forum hosting s/w solution possibility

Posted By: Bill Cornell

I doubt we would go to a platform where the information couldn't be taken with us.

Leon -

Throwing in my 2 cents here. Unfortunately, as I learned from my brief and bad experience with N54, it would be a non-trivial project to bring over the data from the site without their cooperation, on the order of a few hundred hours from technical folks. Trying to be practical from my experience. Trae or Brian may disagree, but the only way I saw to do it was to scrape several 1000 pages, grab only the relevant data, then get it into a format that a new site would support. In short, too much to bite off.

My suggestion is that you pick one of the many really good solutions that are out there and start a new VBC forum there, with a link back to this site. Yes, we'd lose search for this site from that one, but the N54 search feature is horrible (and won't get better, despite their promises) and most people don't use it, anyway. It'd be helpful, I think, to re-start some of the older, valuable threads here and let them get fresh input. Eventually, we'd wind up with much better content and almost everything that this forum has now.

I'm willing to pitch in, advise, supervise, or be summarily overruled. Maybe we could have a conversation between interested parties outside of here.

Bill