View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Default How Long Before Hedge Funds Control The Rare Card Market?

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Here's two interesting questions for Jim and Bruce both:

Both of you have clearly been successful in your chosen careers, and both of you clearly have a keen interest in the financial component of vintage cards.

I would imagine that at some point, like the rest of us, each of you will enter retirement.

Upon retirement, would either of you ever consider a post-retirement career advising others in the area of investing in sports collectibles?

If so, how would you approach it? Jim, I know you've given us some insight into this thread as to how you might advise a potential client, but I'd be interested in digging deeper. Let's say each of you had a client with a high enough net worth that they had a million dollars to put into your venture. What, specifically, would you advise them?

Let's say the entire hobby is available to you - not just graded cards but ungraded, not just cards but memorabilia, and not just collectibles but the actual companies involved in manufacturing, selling, authenticating, and grading. You have the opportunity to invest a million dollars of someone else's money into the sports hobby.

What would you do with that money?

I'll think a little and volunteer my opinions as well, recognizing that my opinions are relatively worthless.

-Al

Edited for long-windedness once again.