View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo Cut Plug unopened pack

Posted By: lindwayjc

Yes...on the side opposite the tax stamp there is without a doubt something rectangular inside the foil. It feels like it could be roughly 2x3.

As far as the Drum brand is considered there are a couple different theories. I owned three different unopened Drum packs at one time. I've sold two of them...both had 1910 tax stamps on them...but one had a 1913 overstamp. One of those I sold is the one that is currently up on t206museum. I just sold that one in particular within the past year. It was not authenticated when I sold it. So GAI just did that in the past eight months or so. I had it appraised by Mr. Doug Allen of Mastro Auctions and he said around 2-3K. I sold it in that ballpark. I don't know why the current owner is trying to get 11.5K out of it?!! Yikes...but that's imho! I also had several of the wrappers...still have a couple left if you're interested.

I know some people believe the Drum baseball cards were inserted into the packs of cigarettes that were distributed by Drummund Tobacco out of St.Louis. My major argument against that particular brand is the factory. The Drum baseball cards were never issued out of a St.Louis factory but rather a factory in Virginia. The Drum pouches/wrappers were ATC factories unlike Drummund Tobacco. Drummund Tobacco continued in St.Louis and from all the research I've done, never moved to a factory outside of St.Louis let alone in Virginia. So the Drummund Cigarette box that is seen every now and then has a slim to none chance that's the correct one. And the ATC factory numbers point to the pouches/wrappers. On a very interesting sidenote, were the cards randomly placed in the tobacco pouches or the wrappers with the rolling papers? Some say the Drum cards show staining similar to the Polar Bear cards. And to those that disagree with them being placed in the pouches, how about the theory they were placed in the rolling paper wrappers?

It's a very interesting argument! Who knows!! The only way we will ever find out is by discovery of an advertisement or ATC documentation!