View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Default Babe Ruth as played by Max Gail (was Casey Stengel as played by Charles Durning)

Posted By: David McDonald

In 1981 Charles Durning performed a one man show entitled Casey Stengel in which he stepped into the character of the ol' Perfesser and expounded his wit and wisdom for one hour of brilliant television. Anybody remember it? More to the point, anybody have a video copy they are willing to sell, share, whatever?

Fast forward two months later . . . I borrowed Jay's video tape copy of Max Gail's one-man show. I think he nailed a pretty good caricature of the Babe. You'll stop making Wojo jokes about one minute into it. The script was very baseball literate. All in all a very enjoyable program. After consulting with Jay we thought that some of you other Net54'ers might enjoy the show as well. I will mail the tape to the first guy (according to all the waiters in Honolulu girls is guys, too) to e-mail me at dmcd50 (at) hawaii.rr.com with the understanding that once they've watched the show they will send it to the next person that wants it and so on.