View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Default All-Star Team of the Decade: 1950's

Posted By: Brian Lindholme

Sorry if you felt "criticized" in fact had you not put some solid choices in front of our keyboards, yours might be dismissed with "are you crazy, don't you know anything about baseball" type comments:)

Certainly the athletes you chose are worthy of being on some list of great players.

We are most likely nit-picking because...hey that's what we do here instead of helping with the laundry (a task I am avoiding as we speak!!

You got me on Mize , since you picked him on the AL team. I'm not sure who makes a better replacement. Sometimes a player dominates a decade without playing for 10 years. Surely Koufax is a great example of that in the 60's.
Also, so many of the "Great Players" lists choose 3 outfielders rather than designating LF, CF, RF that your explanation makes perfect sense for Say Hey. My point was that he was going to make the team somewhere!

Again, this is a fun topic.
I hope others chime in with their selections. It's great to debate on guys like Vic Power or Roy Sievers too sometimes. Hey what about Bobby Avila for AL second base. I've got his 57 Topps right here in front of my keyboard!
According to their bio writers, "Bobby only needed one minor season to be ready for the big time" !!
That's gotta mean sumthin' !!

Brian L
familytoad