View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Default Let's see your Rare 1954 Bowman Ted Williams ?

Posted By: Al Simeone

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the kind words! As I always like to put it Im in the early afternoon of life. (50). I became more old school back when I started to see what direction the (hobby) or business was starting to take in the early 90s.This is more for Marc---- You could see the writing on the wall now that cards had become BIG BUSINESS espically when a grade started being attached to them. And yes you are right I have nothing against grading and graded cards I just prefer the older way of buying. Case in point I have seen graded cards that were done early in the start of grading that now show evidence of having built up corners, bleaching, pressing that are now being exposed with new technology i.e. black light detection etc. with grades nm7 nm8 wow what are they worth now? Again slab it, and send it out there as gospel isnt always what it appeares to be. In this day and age you cant tell me that someone out there cant produce a holder just like lets say the BIG 4 grading companies ,make up fake number and bar codes with a hologram and stick a card in there and pass it off as being graded by one of the big 4. Tell me who would know? Maybe what Im trying to point out is that the TRUST FACTOR has really taken it on the chin since the HOBBY became big business. Just read the posts that are being put up about the auction houses and pictures that are enhanced,fixed,computed changed, anyway you want to put it all for making a sale and turning a profit.And to He@@ with customer relationship. My point is you have your way and some of us have our way. You can still have nice RAW card collections out there that are great to look at and touch other that being given a slab and a number. Ted Z. seems to always get into it with Peter C. because Peter prefers graded over Raw. The point is WHO CARES. Both parties have great cards and thats the way either prefer to collect. Thats why they call it a personal collection!