View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Default Some Topps Questions: Bazooka ATG and True Fact Mini Comics

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Just clearing up some loose ends folks and thought I would post a couple of questions.

A while ago I was contacted by e-mail by a fellow who advised he was aware of a story that Topps marketed baseball cards with soap powder boxes before settling upon bubble gum as their preferred method of sale. The set in question was called All Time Greats and is supposed to be the set "reprinted" by Bazooka in 1963. Any pure white parts of the Bazooka cards are supposed to be "fleshy pink" on the originals purportedly distributed with the soap, which were also hand cut. He thought the "Krause book" seemed to make reference to this in the 1980's but around 1990 Krause dropped the reference to soap.

I have original editions of both the SCD price guide and Standard Catalog and they do not reference this theory. Anyone ever hear about this? I have to presume this is a late 40's timeframe. I do not believe Topps did this but who knows? It could just be a mixup or some kind of weird Ebay description that prompted the e-mail but thought I would solicit opinions Does anyone know the source of the photos for the ATG set? The photos look vaguely familiar to me and I can't help but think they are from the BB Hall of Fame.

The second one concerns True Fact Mini Comics, which were originally issued by Custom Comics (probably in the 50's) with the old style Topps logo in one of the corners, in a series of at least four comics (16 page pamphlet style). I cannot find my reference but I had them as a six comic series reissued by Topps in 1974 which were included as a box topper with some unremembered non sport set. These are shown in the Benjamin Non Sport Guide 1930-1960 (2nd ed) as 4 known and obviously issued before 1960. Benjamin states there were ads in regular comic books promoting these. Does anyone know about this obscure and hard to find issue? I have to presume either my 74 info is incorrect or it was issued twice, once in the 50's and again in 1974. I am 99% certain my 1974 info is correct but my missing reference makes it suspect until confirmed.