View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Default 1955 and 56 Topps Hocus Focus

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I am slowly coming to the conclusion these have been misidentified in various guides over the years. There are two sizes, a smaller one (7/8" height) with no perforate edges, issued in 1955 and a slightly larger one (1" height) issued a year later, where each card has either one or two perforate sides (since they were issued in strips). Conventional wisdom is that the smaller '55 set is numbered to #96 and the larger '56 set has 121 subjects. I am beginning to think the opposite is true. It has been noted no cards above #96 have been spotted in the larger, '56 issue and I have to agree based upon what I have seen. The smaller cards from 1955 are thought to be much harder to find than the taller ones from 1956 and I agree with that.

They have been discussed here before:

http://tinyurl.com/5louxj

I am going to ask if anyone has front AND back scans (the back scans are the important ones) they would like to share, I will compile them into a spreadsheet database. The backs must state "HOCUS FOCUS" or they are not the right cards. The earlier Magic Photo cards do not have this phrase on the back.

Thanks!