View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Default Boxing Card Show @ Canastota High School

Posted By: Murr the Blurr

Hi, Alan:

Although I've been to three Nationals, this past June was my first exposure to the Canastota HOF weekend show — and I was blown away. Vintage cards took a back seat to ephemera and memorabilia, but there was definitely something for everybody. I was able to add some hard-to-find 1920s Cuban cards to my collection, along with several vintage programs and ticket stubs I've been chasing for years. I also picked up a nice assortment of pre-WWII wirephotos and a couple of MSG on-site posters from the mid-1960s.

Since it's ALL boxing, it's a buyer's market. Compared to the National and other big shows, depending on what you're looking for, sticker prices range from a little lower (cards, programs) to a little higher (posters, equipment, etc.) than what you might be expect to pay for vintage items. That said, I quickly discovered that boxing collector/dealers rank among the most amiable I've ever dealt with, and rarely are sticker prices "written in stone." Negotiation is expected — even encouraged — and most dealers are also very open to trade proposals.

I'll definitely be back ... but I'll make sure to arrive Thursday night or Friday morning. I learned that a great deal of buying/selling/trading goes on at the local hotel(s) and even in the high school's parking lot the day before the actual show. It's a great atmosphere and very enjoyable.

Hope this helps.